MACUA WAMUA Advice Office (MWAO) is a non-profit, civil society organisation working with mining affected communities across South Africa. Mining Affected Communities United in Action (MACUA) and Women Affected by Mining United in Action (WAMUA) branches which are located across the country, conduct social audits of mining companies` Social Labour Plans (SLP). Through our community driven audits, we uncover various forms of abuses and false reporting by mining companies who operate outside of the law with impunity. As community-based movement MACUA and WAMUA seek to expose the extensive and systemic corruption through mobilising the public to take a stand against their exclusion and oppression.
MWAO seeks to appoint a Legal Intern on an 18-month contract, to be based in Johannesburg but who would be required to travel to various locations across the country to support local social audits conducted by MACUA Branches.
Remuneration: A basic stipend will be offered for the position
The Legal Intern will undertake the following responsibilities:
- Legal research and writing.
- Factual research on specific cases and audits.
- Coordinate and manage MWAO`s work on accessing information required for local audits.
- Assist with legal support during protests and campaigns.
- Prepare internal briefs and memos on cases.
- Liaise with Legal clinics and other legal organisations who support our work as required.
- General legal assistance to branches.
- LLB Degree is a Minimum Requirement. (Recent graduates are encouraged to apply).
- Drivers Licence.
- Demonstrate an interest in human rights and social and environmental justice work.
- Proactive attitude and enthusiasm for MACUA and WAMUA’s mission and vision.
- Advanced research skills.
- Fluent in at least 2 languages, both written and verbal.
- Must have interpersonal skills as well as ability to work closely with diverse group of community groups.
- Well organised with administrative and file management skills
To apply, submit your CV (maximum three pages), letter of motivation and three contactable references to email@example.com
Application close on 30 November 2021.
No late applications will be accepted.
Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview.
If you do not hear from the organisation within 30 days of the closing date, consider your application unsuccessful.